Saturday, April 23, 2011

Drag Queens and No Judgement

I'm going to refrain from the normally heavy and debated topics I normally stick to and talk about a fun and eye-openeing experience I had a week ago. 
Last Friday, I was lucky enough to suffer the hour and a half wait in line to see the annual MSU Drag Queen Show (At Michigan State University). The idea of a drag queen to me was always pretty undefined. I never really thought about what it would be like to see a man dressed as a woman dancing and performing on stage. The concept was actually humorous to me. 

Walking into a show like this is something I think everyone should experience. It's the only way you can truly grasp the essence of this type of entertainment.  My friends and I were thrilled and shocked all at the same time. 

What struck me most was the confidence of the performers. Who can really say they'd have the guts to get up on stage and strut their stuff, if you will, in front of a huge crowd? Not to mention as the opposite gender. 

Heels and all, queen after queen danced to her song like no one was watching and accepted dollar bills left and right. 

Other than confidence, these drag queens had something else I wish I could constantly possess: an entire lack of judgement. It is obvious that they accept whomever they are around. Not only were the drag queens that way, but the audience members too. Everyone wearing whatever they wanted, dancing, jumping around, singing, and displaying affection in anyway they pleased. I can honestly say that was the one place I've ever been where I felt completely at ease and fully accepted.

Now, that is something to think about when judging the LGBT community. 



No comments:

Post a Comment